There is a huge range of options when it comes to carpet cleaning products; everything from powders, foams and shampoos to steam treatments and rental equipment is available. Carpet cleaning tips are very basic, and often all you need is to know which product is the best for the type of job you need to do.
The Best Carpet Cleaning Products
Some of these simple, at home carpet cleaning products are the answer to solving any problem:
- Woolite Rug Stick: For less than $20, this carpet cleaning stick deep cleans carpets. It pushes a cleansing foam deep into carpets and lifts away dirt. It is highly effective on ground-in dirt and heavy traffic areas.
- Resolve Carpet Cleaner: It comes in a deep cleaning powder that is scrubbed into the carpet with a scrub brush, and then vacuumed away. Resolve is effective on high traffic areas and ground-in dirt. It is also available in a pet formula.
- Resolve High-Traffic Area Foam: It lifts out spots and stains, then protects the carpet from new stains.
- Resolve’s Spot Magic Stain Cleaner: This is an aerosol spray that instantly removes pet stains, oils, wine stains, and more.
- Dry carpet cleaners, such as Host or Oreck brand products: These include a dry powder and shaker pack with a brush, similar to the Resolve Carpet Cleaner. Although these products are billed as dry, the powder does have to dry for 30 – 45 minutes before being vacuumed away.
Carpet Cleaning Products and Equipment
Carpet cleaning equipment is available for rental or purchase. Rug Doctor carpet cleaning machines can be rented at many chain retailers. Rug Doctor injects cleaning solution and hot water, agitates the carpet to remove dirt, and extracts the dirt and moisture. Results are comparable to professional services, but highly cost-effective.
For those who clean their carpets more frequently, home carpet cleaners such as the Hoover SteamVac can be purchased for approximately $150. The SteamVac cleans carpets, bare floors, and upholstery. It can not be used on hardwood floors.
A pricier option is the Bissell Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine. For approximately $550, this carpet shampooing machine offers professional-level results.
Professional Options for Carpet Cleaning Products
Companies such as Chem-Dry offer professional dry carpet cleaning services. Their services include carpet cleaning, pet urine stain removal, specialty stain removal, and upholstery cleaning. Carpets are clean and dry in 1-2 hours after the application of Chem-Dry, versus the 1-2 day drying time for steam cleaning.
Stanley Steamer products use a hot water extraction process to steam clean carpets that removes 95% of the water used. Activity on the carpet must be limited until it is completely dry, however. This method is recommended by most manufacturers. It uses a cleansing agent that is similar to laundry detergent.